In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1074
The place to talk about the Texas Longhorns
The place for off topic discussion on Hookem
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Who is upset? I don't have a problem with you saying that Hamilton or Brown have shown disrespect. But neither are one and dones and I know it's not tolerated. If you want to believe otherwise go ahead. As far as pigeonholing, I think you pretty much did that yourself by talking in terms of one and dones.
When everyone on here agrees that he is too negative with his players at times, to the point of where it effects their performance, you can't expect people to support your opinion that he coddles them.
watching Baylor right now make the elite 8 .....nuff said...... missed sweet 16 5 of last 6 years..... This is Penders type results....... Can't believe the Orange Nation thinks these results are acceptable.......
Baylor's performance has zero relevance to the discussion of whether or not Barnes is a good coach and the right coach for Texas. I just watched Ohio take UNC (minus their point guard) to overtime. Does this mean that Roy Williams is a bad coach, and his teams are clueless on offense without an outstanding point guard? (BTW, Steve Kerr has made it plain that he thinks UNC is clueless on offense, and that their other great players aren't as good, without their point guard.)
If Kabongo leaves, next year Texas will have its 4th freshman PG in 4 seasons. Maybe it would help team stability to have one of these guys stay long enough to become a leader.
Ah don't sleep on Tournament Tom my friend.
Scipio Texas has a pretty good write up on this topic where he tries to put things in perspective.
All the latest Texas Longhorns news and commentary.
I like Coach Barnes.
But if Ohio St can be Top Ten regularly in FB and MBB, we by gosh should be too!
RIP orangehorn Eddie Knight: 8/5/1942 - 12/12/2010
Thanks for sharing. Great article and really good conversation about it.
So I decided to take a look at the statistics on kenpom.com regarding Rick Barnes teams to see exactly what trends his teams have (kenpom has annual statistics going back to the 2003 Final Four team):
- Tempo wise, we are usually a little bit slower than the average team. When you account for this, we have been a pretty good offensive team. This season was our worst adjusted offensive ranking at #31 in the country (out of 345).
- The Kevin Durant team was our worst adjusted defensive ranking team at #62.
- It appears our slower offense also helps limit turnovers as we've never finished outside the top 100 in TO%.
- No surprise but we've always been a good offensive rebounding team (something that probably has helped maintain our good adjusted offensive ranking). Our worst ranking here was 57th, again the Kevin Durant 2007 team.
- More often than not, Texas is a poor 2 point % shooting team. Our only 2 respectable teams on 2p shots were '06 (LaMarcus and PJ Tucker) and '10 (Pittman and James). I think this statistic shows why Cameron Ridley is such a crucial recruit for Texas basketball.
- Finally a statistic that reflects the "Rick Barnes can't coach offense" mantra: we have always been a terrible assist % team. Our two best assist teams are not surprisingly the two best Texas basketball teams of the past decade, 2003 (220th) and 2006 (166th). The rest of the teams finished roughly in the high 200s ranking wise. Can anyone explain why a team led by TJ Ford still only finished 220th in assist %? (Note: This is an honest question, not an attack on Rick Barnes. All I can think is that our ball rotation and movement really is subpar)
- Defensively, Texas always has a good to great effective FG% defense.
- As a trade off for holding teams to a poor FG%, we have been very poor at forcing turnovers. This season was our best ever at 176th in the country.
- We usually are one of the top shot blocking teams in the country. This season was 2nd worst to the 2003 team at 135th and 141st, respectively.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports