In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 1255
Online now 1260 Record: 7224 (2/22/2012)
The place to talk about the Texas Longhorns
The place for off topic discussion on Hookem
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
• Just a killer loss. More on what I believe this does to the Longhorns NCAA Tournament chances later, but needless to say that this is a major blow.
• To me, Texas wore down in the 2nd half. I thought their energy level in the 1st half was very good, especially defensively, but I thought Baylor played with more intensity in the 2nd half.
• Very impressive for Texas to hold Baylor to 7 made shots in the 1st half while forcing 9 turnovers.
• Texas got hurt again on the glass, getting out-rebounded 32-24. The Bears grabbed 14 offensive rebounds on 33 missed shots (42.4%) and the Longhorns only grabbed 8 offensive rebounds on 27 missed shots (29.6%). Clint has to be able to grab at least one rebound in 21 minutes of action.
• The Longhorns motion offensively was solid early in the game during their 17-5 run to take the lead with the post players getting a number of touches. After this run, their motion was very average and they didn’t take advantage of getting the ball into the high post area against the Baylor zone.
• Both Julien and Sheldon were very aggressive offensively which was nice to see. That was the most aggressive Julien has played, putting the ball on the floor, in a long, long time.
• Pierre Jackson was terrific during the 2nd half. Part of this was due to Myck Kabongo getting into foul trouble with a couple of cheap fouls and part of it was due to some below average defense on the wing pick and roll. I would have liked to seen Texas “Ice” the pick and roll (keep the ball on the wing and not let the ball handler use the ball screen). By hedging the ball screen they were in a large number of situations where their help defense wasn’t in the proper positions due to the perimeter abilities of both Perry Jones and Quincy Miller. Keeping the ball on the sideline would have prevented this issue.
• Every time Texas seemed ready to pull away early in the 2nd half, Brady Heslip would knock down a big 3pt shot. Very poor scouting report defense against Heslip in these situations.
• Myck plays incredibly hard but his feel for the game has to be questioned at times. His foul on Jackson with 0:28 left at the end of the shot clock was a very poor decision as was his decision to walk the ball up the court with 0:28 left and down by 2 points. I was shocked that Coach Barnes didn’t use his timeout on that possession as there seemed to be great confusion on that play.
• Apparently Quincy Miller was under the weather but a very “interesting” decision by Scott Drew not to put him on the block and use his size advantage over the Texas wings. This worked very well for Baylor in these teams previous meeting in Waco this season.
• Despite the physical ability that Perry Jones possesses I think he is going to get some NBA executive fired for drafting him too high. By all accounts he is a nice kid but he didn’t seem into the game tonight and is far too soft for me. I wish the kid nothing but the best (except against Texas) and really hope he figures out a way to find the mindset and disposition to use his skills to dominate in every game he plays.
• This isn’t the nail in the coffin for the Longhorns NCAA Tournament chances but it puts their hopes in jeopardy. Assuming that this team can win their next two games at home against Oklahoma and in Lubbock against Texas Tech they should only need to win one more game to get in. Unfortunately, those two games are at Kansas and against either Baylor or Iowa State in the Big 12 Tournament. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see a 9-9 Texas team, which loses in the 1st round of the Big 12 Tournament (in what would be their fourth loss in their last six games) getting in.
I think if we beat Ou and Tech and we hopefully get to play Iowa State and beat them then i think we get into the tourney... If not then we go to the NIT where i think we will dominate..
Good review as usual Matt. You had predicted that we could run out of gas in this game after the tough losss at OSU and the quick turn around. I think that decided the game. We looked very tired after the 10 minute mark in the second half. Just didn't have the same energy that we did in the first.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports