In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 999
Online now 1019 Record: 7224 (2/22/2012)
The place to talk about the Texas Longhorns
The place for off topic discussion on Hookem
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
I don't expect Swoopes to play a down @ QB @ Texas...Ash to Overstreet to Heard
Swoopes to Flex TE as a Dan Buckner-type role...only without the aggy GF or entitled attitude
This post has been edited 2 times, most recently by mcb0703 18 months ago
Why? That's what I want to know. Don't we have something more pressing we can discuss, like the ridiculously porous defense that Diaz has been running out onto the field the last four weeks?
Here's what I know about Swoopes. He's not on campus yet. And when he gets here, he will be sitting behind a junior, a senior, and two redshirt freshmen. Absent some catastrophic injuries, transfers or alien abductions, Swoopes will not be in a position to quarterback the Texas Longhorns football team until--at the earliest--2014. And even then I think he is going to have a difficult time beating out Brewer or (my pick) Overstreet in 2015 when he likely will get his first crack at it.
I'm not going to get too worked up over how Swoopes is performing this year. He may be a wasted scholarship, he may not. The exact same could be said for Barrett and Thomas. Texas has a stable of stud prospects at the position behind a budding star in David Ash, and another stud prospect coming in one year behind Swoopes. If Swoopes doesn't pan out at QB he is probably athletic enough to play another position. It wouldn't be the first time a highly rated HS quarterback went on to play wide receiver at the college level.
Can I have some of that action?
I'll go Barrnett (kid that went to tOSU).
Frankly wouldn't be shocked if Swoopes never is a meaningful starter at TEXAS. He'll have Ash for his senior year (Swoopes shirts) Brewer/Overstreet in front of him and Heard behind him plus whomever we take in '15
Now lets keep in mind that using wins and losses is the most meaningless stat for a HS QB if you are projecting him to the next level but the idea of comparing Swoopes to Colt is just mean.
Colt was a HS stud (though that doesn't always project upwardly),
"He achieved several distinctions as a high school player, including two-time Associated Press 2A Offensive MVP and First-team All-state selection. Over his career, he completed 536-of-849 passes (63.1%) for 9,344 yards and 116 TDs. He ranks as the all-time leading passer in Texas Division 2A high school history and is fourth overall in Texas high school history"
Swoopes is nowhere close as a runner or a passer.
This post was edited by IDMAS 18 months ago
It's hard to even know where to start here.
1) Nothing in my original post expressed hate. Infer whatever you like, but I didn't project hate of any sort.
2) Jeremy Hills cost Texas significantly on Saturday and anything he does, other players can do better. He was trucked by Shaun Lewis on a critical play like he wasn't even there, yet he was there, and he was there for the purposes of pass protection. If you are really this lost when you watch games that you can't see what happens as you watch it, or comprehend the concept of opportunity cost when a lesser talented player is preventing snaps from a better underclassmen, you should keep these things to yourself.
3) I questioned Gilbert early and often, before he took any snaps even, as you point out. I disagreed with how his whole set up was handled and I didn't see what the hype was about in watching him play in the LT system. I questioned what he did for Texas on the field because I never saw anything but bad shit happening. If seeing Gilbert for the bust that he was before some other folks is a problem for you, then I don't have an answer. Never once did I run around on the Internet and just proclaim that "Gilbert sucks!" and apply nothing else to why I felt the way I felt, and I view posters who do that with as much or more disdain than you or anyone else.
4) I don't hate much of anything. Some folks resent me for the posting dynamics I create and blame the emotions they're feeling when they read my posts on me being a bad fan or person or some other nonsense. I find that entertaining, but there is no hate from my end for the player or the poster.
Swoopes at another position means I win by default, right? If the bet is that he's a better QB than someone else Texas could have taken, I will take the bet. My QB is JT Barrett and I will see you in Vegas in 2017. At "Cut" preferably. You have the right of it on the rest of your post.
I'm going to put up a post on the WVU game soon enough. I was bored at lunch with the rest of the talk you mention that is clogging up 3 boards with thread after thread and so I went for something different.
What the hell has Jeremy Hills done this year?
I think this is the key point...
Its not like we are betting all our chips on this kid (unlike earlier)
There is enough talent before and after him... Sure this is a risk. But its not something that is going to derail the program.
Another thing to keep in mind... no QB was a must have can win the game on his own like VY or Cam Newton, in that class (iirc); so whomever you take you have to build a team to win with, and thats what we should be concerned about.
You mean aside from convert a big 3rd down and get a nice gain on the final drive of the biggest game so far? CTJ's lone call-out play notwithstanding, Hills played well against OkSt. If you can't appreciate the positives he brings then that speaks to your willful bias, not to his value to the team.
1) Would be true if you hadn't ended with this snide little gem:
"Who else is cheering for this dynamic Whitewright team to take on the identity of their talented leader?" You just couldn't help yourself.
2) Jeremy Hills was a net positive in that game and you are kidding yourself if you can't see that. On the last drive he made the 3rd down catch that got them their first positive yards. He then kept the pocket clean on the throw to Grant on 4th down and again on the throw to Davis. He was in on about 9 or 10 snaps and there was only one play other than the one you mentioned in which he didn't do his job well. On the sweep that Monroe ran to the right he missed his block which made DJ widen his path a little, probably limiting him by a few yards in the end.
3) Your derision of Gilbert was grounded in solid analysis, sure, but your expression of that analysis was malicious hyperbole, as is your wont.
4) Your posting history belies your statement. I don't think you're a bad fan so much as a bad person.
This post was edited by RufusWasMyPapaw 18 months ago
Sure, but his NFL team won games. Gale Sayers and Dick Butkus sucked eggs in the NFL. I don't think either ever played on a winning team.
The whole point is that great players play for good teams and bad teams. Nobody knows how Swoopes will adapt to the next level.
“Kansas may wind up number one in these polls, but that would be so unfair to Texas...” -- Len Elmore, 2/13/11
I'm not going to hire you as a talent evaluator. Ash isn't in the same league as Swoops as an athlete . Swoops is bigger; faster, and has more agility. No one in their right mind questions Swoops athleticism. His ability to become a big time college passer and make the jump to running a D1 offense is a very reasonable question; but he is a remarkable athlete.
Lol, got it! Reread my post.
We are being very sarcastic and attempting to make light of an awkward subject.
What a load of caca. You continually build your ego by belittling U.T. players and coaches. I've seen this before. Steg was the prototype. You follow in his foot prints. Its a psychological trait generally seen in people with low self-esteem. Jung coined it "projection bias" .
Simply look at Hills. He couldn't block a linebacker who came in full speed on a blitz. Okay. But he picked up a huge first down on 3rd and long on our first possession to keep the drive alive and take the OSU crowd partially out of the game ; and then had two catches on our final drive that won the game. On the whole; he didn't cost us anything Saturday. Simply building your ego.
Like Steg, you are a never ending flow of negativity. It grows old very quickly. It plays well during periods that U.T. is struggling. Steg was the big man on campus in the early 2000's when Stoops was dominating Mack. He for some reason disappeared after 2005. Its no surprise that you have surfaced after 2010-2011; but I suspect you soon will slip back into the slime as the program returns to national prominence.
Swoops is a great athlete and a tremendous prospect. You are mocking him for being injured this year. He may be a complete bust; but for some reason I suspect that Harsin and Applewhite are a hell of a lot better at identifying prospects than you will ever hope to be. The difference is that every mistake they make is repeatedly examined. Every mistake you make soon disappears into the electronic ether . Swoops may turn out to be a super-star, he may turn out to be a bust. I think of Reggie Neal who was considered to be Vince Young's equal coming out of Lufkin and turned into a bust. I also remember Russell Shepard, generally considered to be the #2 QB in state behind Gilbert. Another complete bust. Recruiting is an inexact science. It's easy to snipe. Its very difficult to actually do the job.
There is an old psychological adage: " Those who continually belittle others ultimately only belittle themselves." You would be well served by remembering this adage.
As I referenced, you project whatever you need on to me if it makes you feel better. I'll be judged in the end whether or not I am a bad person by the only entity that matters, but if that narrative fits for you, I am fine with it.
It is because some posters are just naturally huge douche bags that have nothing better to do in their lives than to bag on 17 year old kids. Pathetic.
Or, he is just the greatest troll ever. One of the two.
This post was edited by DharmaCombat 18 months ago
"Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant".
A much more pithy way to get to the point than my post. A naturally huge douche bag is on target.
The one variable that CTJ left out of the equation about Colt vs Tyrone?
Colt's daddy was his coach!
Always looking down.
Always creating some sort of breeze.
I'm thrilled Swoopes is committed to us simply for the reason that I can post this pic whenever he screws up.
This post was edited by SizzleTheft 18 months ago
I like the fact that Texas is taking a projection guy in this class. Swoopes is more apt to actually stay, get better, and compete against Overstreet and Brewer as opposed to getting on campus and leaving within 2 years after not getting any PT at the position. It's also likely that Swoopes may move to a different position as well.
Since Ash now has the position on lock down for 2 more years and Overstreet being better than expected, Swoopes has plenty of time to develop his skills be at QB or another position.
You always take an athlete the caliber of Swoopes and let him figure things out.
Not a good day. Second time today I've argued with someone who agreed with me.
2017 it is. And I knew you would pick Barrett.
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports