In partnership with CBSSports.com
Online Now 228
The place to talk about the Texas Longhorns
The place for off topic discussion on Hookem
You have no favorite boards.
The most viewed topics.
The most replied to topics.
The most up-voted topics.
The most down-voted topics.
The most up-voted posters.
The most down-voted posters.
The most followed posters.
Fixed all the little errors others helped me find. Couldn't post on old thread for some strange reason, so starting this new thread...
1) We obviously have as big a problem now on DL as we once had on OL. Interesting how when one disappears, the other appears! So much for Bo Davis killing it on the recruiting trail, at least as a position coach...
2) I think both our JUCO additions will become Orange starters by fall.
3) we have 20 players who were good enough to play in their freshmen year now playing as Jr's and Soph's.
4) For first time in years, we will NOT have a freshmen start this year, most likely.
5) It could be argued we have 25 guys who could make NFL teams now playing as Sr's, Jr's, and Soph's.
6) We have an emergency situation at TE, hidden by our glut of Jr TE's. We now need about 4 TE's in the '15 class. We'll have to go Juco for probably 2 TE's in '15. Probably a real mistake to move Blueitt, unless he can't catch.
7) We are in for 2 very good years, talent wise. Then our TE and DL recruiting problems will emerge...
Thanks for the hard work you put into this. I think this sometimes gets unnoticed.
Thanks for doing these, really great work.
3. I think that is a mix of some good freshman and bad upperclassmen, but mostly the latter.
4. Means that # 3 is correcting itself due to better recruiting in 10 and 11.
6. Until we see Major's offense it's hard to say what we will need at TE one way or the other. I would argue we've had way too many TE's, or at least bad ones on the roster for a while.
Thanks for putting this together.
I think this had more to do with poor attrition and poor evaluations.
Agree on DL in the future.
Sorry to be contrarian but everything you listed is pure speculation. I will also speculate you're too long on the upside and too short on the sell.
We are loaded with talent. We are also loaded with coaches either trying to redeem themselves or making their mark for future jobs.
Tight end recruiting sucks - check. No DL recruit this year sucks - check. Searls hitting it out of the park on OL -check. What does it mean? Zero.
Teams win by being teams. Tight, sacrifice, kick someone's ass if they even look at a teammate sideways.
Despite some questionable recruiting and fist through drywall coaching decisions, this years team will kick ass if they play as a street gang protecting turf. The talent is there, but the willpower from 22 guys for 60 minutes has gone missing.
Swagger your ass out of the way and let the kids swagger on the field. You did it with vY and won an MNC . Continue.
Redshirt 2 TEs if possible and problem solved.
Thx, Shape. It is, indeed, tedious, and I appreciate the help others take to read it and help with errors.
#3 - True Dat. Nonetheless, the additional experience for the freshmen (then) makes them all the better (now).
#6 - unless we are eliminating the position entirely, I think we clearly have a coming shortage of bodies. Not just any body will do, of course, although it seems to be treated that way at times, which could be part of our problem.
thanks for your comments!
Yes and no. We are still trending towards 2 consecutive years without a TE successfully recruited as an incoming freshmen, now that CB has been moved. That is hard to take for any pipeline position. We'll continue to have to go to JUCO for this position in coming years most likely...
"Sorry to be contrarian but..." Yes, I'm pretty sure most things about college football recruiting of 18 years olds would be on the "speculative" side. Similar for the stock market and Las Vegas. Not sure if you indulge in either of those. I find it enjoyable, and less expensive, to speculate here.
"What does it mean? Zero." No, not really. Any one item by itself, perhaps, depending on that item. But these things are all upstream indicators of critical components to the process of building winning teams. I'd suggest taking them in as a whole to get much of a feeling for where things are going.
That's sort of what I was doing with point #7...
247Sports In partnership with CBS Sports